Saturday, November 5, 2011

Parents in Town!

My mom and I went to Newport and looked at a couple of mansions. This first one is Rosecliff. It is where they filmed, The Great Gatsby, True Lies, and Omistad. Pretty cool place to live for 10 weeks a year (!!!) but the owners had a sad story of their life...you'll have to visit to know what it is :)

This is the Cliff Walk in Newport and it goes along the cliff (who'd have guessed) and also by all the castles. Such a beautiful walk!

This is The Breakers. Some cool facts of this castle:
- One room had platinum on the walls. VERY rare back in those days
-The Vanderbilt family owned it...the very Vanderbilt's that also owned Vanderbilt University where Nick was also accepted.
- Mr. Vanderbilt had a solid marble slad bathtub. It had 4 faucents. 2 for hot and cold fresh water, and 2 for hot and cold sea water. They had to fill and empty it several times for the marble to warm up. Craaaazy
- They only lived here 10 weeks a year...
- The National Historic society purchased it in the 80's (?) for $400,000!!! THAT's IT!!


My mom and I thought this little house was the ground/gate keepers house. Nope- it's the children's 'play' house. My brother-in-law Reid needs to step up his play house game, after seeing this!
Providence, RI
Out for fresh caught seafood. You should have seen the TWO LARGE lobsters my dad ordered!
In Salem, Mass. looking for witches
At our Ward Halloween party.
Dad having cider that heated up his glasses! So funny
My parents! and 6 month old Colette
My two favourite ladies

2 comments:

Julie and Adam said...

Remember how I found your blog, and think you are so dang photogenic. I'm a tiny bit jealous of your beauty!

Leah said...

I've been waiting for this post. So jealous. I want to come visit real bad. So glad you guys had so much fun together.