Thursday, March 31, 2011

Work

Wow. The way things are going around work, I might outlast 95% of the people here and I'm leaving April 15! Today there were lots of tears at work as several middle management people were let go. And that is just the start of the list. First of all, for those that didn't know, I work for a company based out of San Diego called Conrad. One of their clients is here in Provo and Conrad has placed me here. So I don't actually work for the Provo business. I am not being laid off, but the Provo business is laying off everyone is the Provo office and starting again in Salt Lake. The sad part is they are letting go of all their longevity employees and hiring cheaper ones. I think you get what you pay for....Just saying. So that has been my day. Surrounded by tension and knowing all this and not being able to tell any of the wonderful people I work with here. I think the Provo business is going out of business, letting go of everyone, (including Conrad and just waiting for my maternity leave to let Conrad know) and going to start a new business in Salt Lake. That is only Kim specualtion though. No facts.

Looking back now, I have been so blessed to have this job these last 3.5 years. I have hated what I do, but I have loved the people I work with, it has provided Nick and I income so that he could focus on his grades, not work, they let me pick my own hours so I could go to school and finally finish my degree; they gave us a free trip to NYC and the miles I earned from traveling got Nick and I to Costa Rica! Not working is never easy, but honeslty, (and sadly since I know it's not the case with my co-workers) the timing couldn't be better for Nick and I. He graduates and is getting a summer job before we move and start grad school. So this summer I can be a mom and we will do okay financially. With this economy and job market, we are in a good situation. What a wonderful blessing that is for us. Constantly I am reminded how we are watched over by the Lord.

But it's never fun to watch work friends have a hard time and since you know their lives, you know how much they need the job.

No comments: